Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tailgating? Not here you don't!



Recently, Nissan Pavilion, now the Jiffy Lube Center, in Bristow, Virginia announced that no longer will "tailgating" be allowed. No BBQ'ing, no drinking, no partying before an event.

This will, in all likelihood, mean that Jimmy Buffett's annual stop in the Northern Virginia area will end with this years concert. Leastways, I hope this is the end result. I can not think of anything less appealing than NOT being able to party the entire day away with thousands of fellow Parrotheads, prior to watching the concert. Gone will be the Tiki Bars, impromptu Ford, Dodge & Chevy beaches, inflatable palm trees and the din of margarita machines grinding tons of ice into their frozen concoctions.

I can't say I'm terribly upset. I am a passionate Parrothead, having followed JB since the 70's. Yea, I'm THAT old! I however, despise the location. It is a nightmare to get into and one must allot at a minimum, 2-3 hours to get out of the venue after any event. The infrastructure to support Nissan was never in place and over the years, hasn't been upgraded or improved.

Farewell Jiffy Lube. You've cut your own throats. Tailgating at most concerts is a tradition, even more so at Parrothead events. It is my fervent hope that you suffer financially from this decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment