Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Meaning

Always on the lookout for the strange, abnormal or the just plain weird, every now and again I am rewarded with one of those moments that I am able to capture with a picture.



While walking around Fredericksburg yesterday evening, I came across this house on Lafayette Blvd. I stopped, looked and pondered the meaning of that before me.

Let's see, we have a Driving School, a Podiatrist and The Union Branch of the True Vine. What did it all mean? Ok...I wasn't driving and I don't have any outstanding tickets or warrants out for my arrest relating to motor vehicles. Scratch that off the list. I was however walking. Did I need a Podiatrist? My feet didn't think so, but one never knows. What was this UBTV? Some type of church? As a non believer, I was after all on my evening walk. Was God, in an ever so subtle manner, trying to tell me that not only did he exist, but also that my feet would soon be in need of attention? Kill two birds with one stone type thing? Have my feet looked at and find belief in God! What could be more convenient?

My mind reeled. Yet I somehow couldn't get my head around some imaginary, man contrived deity sending me, of all people, signs. I stared at the house and gave additional thought to the Union Branch of the True Vine.

Maybe the UBTV was a new vintner in town proclaiming their grapes to be some unique hybrid, divined (pun intended) from the mating of two or more different varietals which came together at a Branch. Forming the one and only "True Vine" of grapes, resulting in an extremely rare and exquisite vintage, reserved for the Gods and unattainable by mere mortals. I could almost picture some carny hawker standing there screeching to passersby "Step right up ladies and gentlemen. See and witness the True Vine of the grape! All others are blasphemous and the work of Satan! Hurry! Hurry! Accept no substitutions! Pray to no false grapes! Only one thin dime! Step right this way!"

As I stood and pondered, traffic along the street slowly slipped by, paying me no mind. I pulled out the Kodak and snapped the picture. Drawn though I was, I could not stand there all night. I was due home to cook dinner. Still, I stood, rooted. I polled the other seven voices in my head; "What did it all mean?" Strangely, they were silent. What good are you guys if you aren't around when I need you?, I asked. Continued silence. BAH!

I turned my back on this mysterious residence, crossed the street and continued on my way. One foot in front of the other (still no issues), I wandered down Sunken Road and eventually found my way home.

As I lay in bed last evening, waiting for sleep to overtake, it finally hit me! The answer I was looking for!! This residence I'd snapped a picture of, on which I pondered for many moments, was simply an old house which had become home to a Driving School, a Podiatrist and a Church. An odd combination to be sure, but then again, we live in an odd world. There was no unusual meaning to their being together in this one place, no signs from God, nothing strange. Somewhat disappointed, I fell asleep with the realization that in all likelihood, there was no hidden gem of a vintner breeding hybrid grapes in the confines of the building either.

Damn! I was so hoping to at least get a sip of a wine, fit only for the Gods.

No comments:

Post a Comment